Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Ultimate Birthday Present

Wow, I haven't blogged in quite some time. I really wanted to, but I had a small case of writer's block. Anyway, I finally came up with something to write about.


I really like our planet. It's the perfect distance away from the sun, has the perfect conditions to sustain life and it contains humans. Humans are pretty cool, even if some of us are a bit dysfunctional. Now, that may sound random,  but it's one of the reasons that I would rather stay put on my planet than go to the moon. This reason combined with my slight fear of the unknown and my considerable fear of heights mean that the idea of having to go into outer space is a huge phobia of mine. I wonder if there's even a name for that? Ah, there is: Astrophobia.(I love Google).


So despite all this, the one thing I would really love for my birthday (which is in a couple of weeks, so you can start saving up ;D ) is a TARDIS. For those of you who don't know, that stands for Time and Relative Dimension in Space. It's essentially a space-ship, or a time machine, depending on how you want to use it. This is how it looks:




And this is how it looks on the inside:




None of it makes much sense, unless you watch Doctor Who (which I really recommend you do, it may surprise you).


Okay, I'll admit it, I'm becoming a huge Doctor Who fan. I find that strange, because I really don't like space aliens. (I just Googled the name of that fear and it falls under Astrophobia. How lame.) The first alien I can remember getting freaked out by is E.T. Please don't try to tell me that I'm being stupid; that movie very nearly ruined my childhood. He's all brown and leathery and bug-eyed. Then he gets sick and he's all pale and ghostly. Not very long after seeing that movie for the first time, I made a friend who was very fond of sci-fi. I say "very fond" but she was kind of obsessed, especially with the X-files. We used to have sleep-overs at her house and she'd make me watch it with her before we went to bed. I was 11, so I guess it's a little bit sad that I was as freaked out by it as I was, but her room was in the attic and her house was old and drafty. 


I still really don't like the idea of an alien invasion. I don't really believe in them, but I'm still freaked out by the thought; sort of like how people who don't necessarily believe in ghosts would still check their closets before going to bed after seeing a horror movie. The movie District 9, which was set in South Africa was a little unsettling for that reason. Aliens in Joburg? I know I'm in Cape Town but still... *Shivers* 


I am finding though, as I slowly become a grown-up, that I'm a little less freaked out by aliens nowadays. Or rather that my fear has become rather selective. I'm not so scared of these kind of aliens:




But I'm pretty darn terrified of these kinds of aliens:




Man alive, they're creepy.


Luckily there aren't any in Doctor Who (from what I've seen so far anyway). Which is why I can safely watch it without having to check under my bed before I sleep. 


Ok, so back to the TARDIS. I don't want it to explore space. Really, the less I see of space, the better. I like to look at photos of it from within the Earth's cozy atmosphere, but I wouldn't want to go sight-seeing. I want the TARDIS so that I can go back in history. I've always wanted to see ancient Egypt, ancient Rome, the 1800s, a Beatles concert... With a TARDIS, I could do that. 


I do sound a little bit insane, but that's okay because I am insane. I can't really think of anything else I'd like for my birthday. So since it doesn't exist, I guess I don't really want anything for my birthday. How strange. 


I know there are people reading this who won't have a clue of what I'm rambling about, but since I have no idea what the people who read my blog want to read about, this is what you're getting.


Anyway, I've just realised how tired I am. I've also just realised that I've planted that freaky alien picture in my mind. Fail.


Good night and thank you for reading all this nonsense. You must have much patience to sit through my useless rambling, and I admire that. Have a great week :)



No comments:

Post a Comment